How To Get A Birth Certificate In Washington
To obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate in Washington you need to follow the below simple steps:
Washington Department of HealthP.O. Box 9709Olympia, WA 98507-9709
You will then receive your birth certificate in the mail.
Can Anyone Get A Copy Of A Birth Certificate In Washington
Certified copies of birth records in Washington are not public records and as such, are not available to everyone. Birth certificates can only be issued to adult registrants . Registrants parents, immediate relatives, guardians, and legal representatives can also obtain birth certificates on behalf of minor registrants. However, proof of eligibility and relationship with the registrants is required for persons other than the registrants.
Non-certified informational copies of birth records in Washington are available on request to everyone. Requesters must, however, provide the necessary information to facilitate a smooth search. No proof of eligibility is required as informational copies of birth records cannot be used for legal purposes.
Washington Birth Certificate Requirements
To obtain a copy of a birth certificate you will need to complete the application and mail it to your birth states vital records office. You will also need to prove your identity and your relationship with the person whose birth is recorded in the certificate
In the Washington birth certificate application form, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- First, middle, and last name of the subject of the record
- First and last name of all parents listed on the record
- City or county where the birth occurred
After filling in the application form with the requested information, you will need to provide acceptable proof of ID and qualifying relationship . Find below a list of acceptable proof of identification:
- Washington State enhanced drivers license , drivers license , permit, or identification card
- Out-of-state enhanced drivers license or REAL ID license, drivers license or identification card
- NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST border crossing card
- U.S. Merchant Mariner’s card
- U.S. B1/B2 Visa Border Crossing Card
The document must include a photo as well as your full legal name and DOB. Moreover, it must be valid or, if expired, it must not have done so earlier than 60 days before your application.
If you do not hold any of the above, you may submit at least 2 documents from the official Washington alternative list.
Recommended Reading: Free Online Real Estate Courses With Certificates
Washington Department Of Health
To obtain Washington birth records by mail, requesters should complete the Birth Certificate Mail Order Form and send with supporting documents to the DoH at:
Center for Health StatisticsOlympia, WA 98507
The following are some documents required of a requester to obtain birth records in Washington:
To obtain non-certified informational copies of birth records, requesters must provide the following information in addition to their supporting documents:
- The first, middle, and last names of the registrants on record
- First and last names of parents
- Date, month, and year births took place
- Cities and counties of birth
Local County Health Departments
Order A Birth Or Death Certificate
We issue birth and death certificates for Washington State. Find out how you can request a certified copy of birth and death records below.
Before you request records, you should know:
- Our offices are currently open Monday-Friday 8:30a.m. – 12:30 p.m.. You can also download an application form below.
- Only people with specific relationships to the person on the birth or death record can receive a certified copy of a birth or death certificate.
- You must provide documents that show proof of your identity and your relationship.
- The cost of a certificate is $25.00 per copy.
- Anyone can order non-certified copies of birth and death records. Non-certified copies cannot be used for legal purposes.
You May Like: Maryland Sales And Use Tax Exemption Certificate
A Vital Record For Use In Connection With A Claim For Compensation Or Pension Pending Before The Veteran’s Administration
To qualify for a birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificate at no charge for a claim for compensation or pension pending before the Veteran’s Administration, the individual or entity must submit official documentation from the Veteran’s Administration with a complete application for the requested certificate. For birth and death certificates require identity documentation and proof of qualifying relationship. Only one certificate provided per request.
How Can You Order The Certificate
New parents don’t automatically receive a copy of their child’s birth certificate. We recommend that you get a copy as soon after the birth as possible. This will help you make sure that the birth was registered properly by the medical facility and that the information on the certificate is correct.
For your convenience, there are several ways of ordering birth certificates: online, by phone, by mail, and in person via our automated kiosks.
Read Also: How To Get My Son’s Birth Certificate
How To Edit And Download Washington State Birth Certificate On Windows
Windows users are very common throughout the world. They have met a lot of applications that have offered them services in editing PDF documents. However, they have always missed an important feature within these applications. CocoDoc are willing to offer Windows users the ultimate experience of editing their documents across their online interface.
The process of editing a PDF document with CocoDoc is very simple. You need to follow these steps.
- Choose and Install CocoDoc from your Windows Store.
- Open the software to Select the PDF file from your Windows device and continue editing the document.
- Customize the PDF file with the appropriate toolkit showed at CocoDoc.
- Over completion, Hit “Download” to conserve the changes.
The Best Way To Change Washington State Birth Filing Form Online
With DocHub, making adjustments to your documentation takes just a few simple clicks. Follow these fast steps to change the PDF washington state birth filing form online for free:
Our editor is super user-friendly and efficient. Try it out now!
Complete this form in 5 minutes or less
Also Check: How Do I Get My Son’s Birth Certificate
Us Birth Certificates Will Continue Operating During The Covid
Some government offices remain closed, or are only open for appointments, however online and mail applications are accepted as normal. This allows our vital records services to continue without interruption. Processing times have improved and most vital records offices are now operating as usual. Your vital record request will be processed and delivered as quickly as possible. We will keep you updated on any changes.
Legal Disclaimer: US Birth Certificates is a privately owned website that is not affiliated with, not owned or operated by any government agency. US Birth Certificates is an independent preparer that provides vital records application preparation assistance services. If you are looking for blank forms, you can get them for free at the relevant state office.
- Enroll in school in the United States
- Join the military
Birth certificates and other official vital records in Washington are issued by the Washington State Department of Health, Center for Health Statistics.
You can now apply for your authorized birth certificate from your home by submitting an online request. You will just need to fill out the relevant online form following the detailed instructions we provide with your application form and ship the request.
The Center for Health Statistics will then issue your certificate and you will receive it directly at your home address.
The Washington State Department of Health keeps birth certificates of births that took place from July 1, 1907 to the present.
Washington Birth Certificate Fees
To request a Washington birth certificate, you are required to pay the state fees. From January 1, 2021, the cost to process a copy of a birth certificate in Washington is $25.
The same fee applies to certified and noncertified copies and each additional copy will require the payment of a $25 fee. Moreover, you should take into account the costs associated with shipping your petition.
The birth certificate fees are used to support the vital records system in the state of Washington and help fund the death investigations account
Some applicants can request a vital record copy for free in the state of Washington. This is the case if:
- The documents is connected to a claim for compensation or pension pending before the Veterans Administration
- The vital record certifies the death of a sex offender, for use by a law enforcement agency in maintaining a registered sex offender database
- The vital record certifies the death of any offender, requested by a county clerk or court in Washington state for purposes of extinguishing the offenders legal financial obligation
- The vital record is the birth certificate of a homeless person living in Washington state
Recommended Reading: Us Bank Certificate Of Deposit Rates
What Do I Need To Provide
To order a birth certificate, noncertified informational copy of a birth record, and Heirloom birth certificate, you must provide:
- First, middle, and last name of the subject of the record.
- Date of birth .
- City or county of birth.
- First and last names of all parents that are listed on the record.
How Do I Get An Heirloom Birth Certificate
You must complete the following steps to request and receive a Heirloom birth certificate.
- Submit an application by mail or in person with required pieces of information.
- Provide documentation to prove your qualifying relationship.
- Pay applicable fee. Fees start at $50 per Heirloom birth certificate. Other fees may apply depending on shipping method. For each $50 purchase of an Heirloom birth certificate, $25 is tax-deductible. Visit the Washington State Department of Children, Youth & Families for additional information on how your contribution helps Washington’s families.
Recommended Reading: Aws Solutions Architect Associate Certification
How Much Does A Birth Certificate Cost In Washington
The cost of obtaining birth certificates in Washington varies depending on a requesters method of application. The acceptable means of payment include checks, money orders, and cash. Money orders and checks are payable to the Department of Health, while cash payment is permitted for only walk-in requests. All fees are non-refundable even when certificates requested are not found or requests denied due to invalid supporting documents.
Walk-in Request – Washington Department of Health
Requesters applying for Washington birth certificates in person at the DoH pay $25 per copy. To obtain an heirloom birth certificate, the DoH charges $50.
Mail Request – Washington Department of Health
Requesters pay $25 per copy of a Washington birth certificate requested by mail to the DoH.
Local County Health Departments
The cost of obtaining Washington birth certificates at the Local Health Departments differs by county. Requesters should inquire about this by calling the health department in the counties where such births were recorded. However, the following delivery charges apply for all counties:
- $5 by U.S. Mail
Ways To Request A Certificate:
In-person: Application drop-off for vital records is open to the public Monday – Friday from 8:00am-11:30am & 12:30pm-3:45pm.
Mail: Applications can be processed via mail for an additional $4.00 per order.
Print out one of the vital records forms listed above, write in your information, include a photo copy of your acceptable proof and mail it, along with your payment, to the address provided on the form.
In addition to the cost of the certificate, an additional fee of $4.00 per order applies when an order is submitted by mail and payment is made by check or money order.
Checks and money orders should be made payable to: Grays Harbor County Public Health
You can expect your birth certificate order in approximately 3-4 weeks when choosing the mail-in method.
Online: Vital records may be ordered online at vitalchek.com.
Recommended Reading: Billing And Coding Certification Online
Birth Certificates: Grays Harbor County
Births from July 1, 1907 to present
Must have been born in Washington State
Copies can typically be issued after 2:00pm on the day of drop-off
Cost: $25.00 per certificate.
An order form must be completed and submitted with payment:
We accept cash, check, and money order.
Questions call 360-532-8631
How To Get Birth Records From A Hospital In Washington
By law, Washington hospitals do not issue birth certificates. Only the Washington State Department of Health and the Local County Health Departments are authorized to issue birth records. The Washington State Birth Filing Forms completed by new parents at the hospitals are only used to provide information electronically to the DoH.
Also Check: Washington State Medical Assistant Certification
Who Can Apply For A Washington Birth Certificate
Official birth records are restricted in Washington. Birth certificates can only be issued to:
- The subject of the record
- An individual with a qualifying relationship with the subject of the record
The following are considered to be qualified applicants other than the subject of the record:
- Spouse or domestic partner
- Parent, step-parent, or legal guardian
- Child or stepchild
- Government agency or the courts if the birth certificate is used to conduct official duties
An is an individual who is permitted to obtain the birth certificate. This means that they are an agent identified in a power of attorney or that they hold a notarized form signed by a qualifying applicant.
The Washington Vital Records Modernization Act has restricted access to birth certificates to the individuals listed above. This was done to Help protect privacy and prevent identity theft, while ensuring the publics access to these important documents is maintained, according to Secretary of Health John Wiesman. The laws, rules, and regulations governing vital records in Washington had gone untouched for decades, and these updates are much needed to modernize this critical area of our work.
Those who are not listed as qualified applicants can access vital record information by purchasing a noncertified informational copy or requesting historical records from the State Archives.
What Are Birth Records In Washington
Washington birth records document information on births that occur in Washington. The state officially began the statewide recording of births in 1907. Before then, most counties were already recording birth events, but compliance was generally low. Birth certificates are issued, on request, as evidence of births that occurred and registered in Washington. A Washington birth record typically contains the following information:
- Childs full name
- Mothers full name, maiden name included
- Fathers full name
A Washington birth record serves as proof of citizenship. It is also needed in obtaining documents such as drivers license and passports. Additionally, Washingtonians require birth records to register for health insurance and enroll in school.
You May Like: Service Dog Certification Free Online
Changes Starting January 1 :
For increased security of personal information, only individuals with specific relationships to the person on the record being requested can receive a certificate.
- Identity and proof of relationship documentation will be required.
- Certificate fee will increase to $25.00 per copy.
- The Department of Health recently published a Frequently Asked Questions webpage to assist everyone in better understanding what the new requirements are for ordering birth and death certificates. The FAQ webpage contains information about who can, and how to, order birth and death certificates.
- Below outlines the current process and requirements, through the end of the 2020 calendar year.
Vital Records No Fee In Specific Circumstances
- For increased security of personal information, only individuals with specific relationships to the person on the record requested can receive a certificate.
- Applicants must provide identity and proof of relationship documentation.
- Certificate fee increases to $25.00 per copy.
Read Also: Marriage Certificate San Bernardino County
What About Records That You Dont Provide
The Washington State Vital Records Office provides records for:
- Births in Washington State from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Deaths in Washington State from July 1, 1907 to present.
The Whatcom County Auditor’s Office also provides marriage and divorce records.
You can order birth and death certificates for records outside of Washington State by:
- Contacting the state or local health department where the event occurred.
- Ordering them from VitalChek.
How Can I Use A Birth Record Outside The United States
If you want to use a certified document in another country, you may need an apostille from the Secretary of State. For example, a birth certificate issued in the state of Washington that you want to use in another country, may require an apostille.
The law requires that you can only request an apostille using a certified copy. Visit the apostille web page for more information.
Recommended Reading: Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam Prep