To Avoid Your Application Being Returned To You Make Sure That You:
- answered all questions, or wrote N/A on the application form for any question or section that is not applicable to you
- returned all original Canadian citizenship/naturalization certificates previously issued to you and any pink transmission copies that you still have
- included high quality colour copies of two pieces of personal identification one of which must have your photo on it
- included your citizenship photo according to the appropriate citizenship photograph specifications
- included high quality colour copies of requested documents, their translation and an affidavit by the translator for any documents that are not in English or French
- provided a letter of explanation for any documents that are missing, not included or require further clarification with your application .
- signed and dated the form. Before you send it, make sure that it is not stale-dated or post-dated .
- paid the correct fees and included your receipt with your application.
Learn More About Immigration Cases
How To Apply For A Certificate Of Citizenship
When any one of the criteria mentioned above is fulfilled, you could file Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship with the USCIS to apply for your citizenship certificate.
This citizenship form is divided into 10 segments, asking for information about your parents and yourself. The facts mentioned in the citizenship form will help the immigration officer decide whether you are eligible to claim the citizen certificate or not. The general time taken to process the certificate is about 5-6 months.
Don’t Miss: Google It Support Professional Certificate
Fee Payment Outside Canada And The United States
Use the following method of payment ONLY if:
- youre living outside Canada and the United States, and
- you do not have access to the Internet.
If you cannot pay online, you must pay directly to the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate where youre submitting your application.
- Visit the Pay your fees web page
- Select the country/territory where youre paying from
- Select your application type
- Bring your completed application and the correct fees to the consular office indicated
Note: Consular offices cannot accept:
- receipts for fees paid in Canada, or
- personal cheques
What Is A Certificate Of Citizenship
A Certificate of Citizenship is a document proving the citizenship of a person who was born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parents. To be clear, it does not grant citizenship. It only recognizes and confirms the citizenship-status already obtained by the applicant. This certification can be very useful if, for example, youre looking to sponsor a non-U.S. citizen relative for their green card application, or if you want to apply for a U.S. passport.
In this guide, well provide a broad overview of the Certificate of Citizenship:
You May Like: Fafsa Approved Online Certificate Programs
What If One Of The Parents Cant Go To The Application Center
If you or the other parent physically cant or wont go with your child to apply for the passport, the parent who cant go needs to fill out Form DS-3053 Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16.
Find Form DS-3053 online at
- Scroll down to I want a form
- Scroll down to Forms for Special Situations
You can also get a DS-3053 at a passport application center. The completed form must be signed in front of a notary. You also need to make a copy of both sides of the missing parents identification. Take the completed form and the copy of the identification to the application center.
NOTE: If the other parent is deceased, bring the death certificate or affidavit of death.
If you have sole legal custody of your child, bring the court order that shows you have sole legal custody. If you are the mother, and not married to the father, you can also show this by bringing a birth certificate which only lists the mother. If you dont have any of these things you can fill out Form DS-3053 to try to explain your situation.
If You Made The Mistake
Its not likely that you gave USCIS an incorrect name or date of birth when you applied for citizenship, but if you didnt catch that type of mistake before swearing to the facts of your application at the interview, youre out of luck. In that case, your certificate of naturalization is always going to have the name and birth date information you gave USCIS when you applied.
If you realize you gave USCIS some other type of wrong information when you applied for citizenship and your certificate of naturalization is wrong as a result, you will have to pay the filing fee when you send your N-565. The alternative is to apply for a fee waiver, if you qualify.
Check box G in Part 2, Question 2 of the N-565, and explain your mistake in Part 4. You will also have to send any documents that prove the correct information, along with the incorrect certificate.
Recommended Reading: What Are Certificates Of Insurance
Is A Certificate Of Naturalization The Same As A Passport
A certificate of naturalization is not the same as a passport. A passport is an internationally recognized document that proves your identity and Citizenship. Its main purpose is to provide proof of identity, especially during international travels.
On the other hand, a Certificate of naturalization acts as an official document that confirms that you have become a U.S. citizen. While a passport is not required to prove your U.S. citizenship, traveling outside of the United States is generally required.
A certificate of naturalization is used as proof of U.S. citizenship when applying for a passport. So, while a certificate of naturalization and a passport serve different purposes, they are both important documents for U.S. citizens. For more information, you can look for an online immigration lawyer.
How To Replace Uscis
If you want to replace USCIS-issued naturalization or citizenship certificates but don’t know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in easy steps:
You May Like: Get Copy Of Death Certificate
How Long Does It Take To Obtain The Certificate Of Citizenship
After the N-600 application for Certificate of Citizenship is filed with USCIS, processing time can take approximately 9-14 months.
Did you apply for US citizenship or permanent residence and have not received a response? Sometimes the waiting time can take longer than normal. If youve been waiting a long time, you may want to know what a writ of mandamus is .
What Is Naturalization Vs Green Card
So you’re interested in becoming a U.S. citizen? Great! However, you have to go through the entire process of naturalization.
A Green Card gives a person permanent residence in the United States. A Green Card holder can legally work and live in the U.S. indefinitely. A Green Card holder can also apply for U.S. citizenship after living and working in the U.S. for five years .
Naturalization is simply the process by which a person who is not a U.S. citizen can become a U.S. citizen. This can either be through the permanent residency path or citizenship by marriage.
The Benefits and Obligations of a Green Card Holder
As a green card holder, you get to enjoy most of the privileges that normal citizens enjoy. However, there are some limitations. If you hold a green card, you have the following privileges:
- You can apply for visas to allow your spouse and children to reside in the United States
- You are eligible for Social Security, SSI, and Medicare benefits
- You can participate in the U.S. military in a certain capacity
- You are eligible for federal assistance like food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and Services for Survivors of Domestic Violence
- You are also allowed to travel outside of the United States for vacations
- You can rent or own property anywhere in the U.S.
While you have all these rights as a green card holder, there are some rights that are limited for you. These include the following:
You May Like: How To Get Google Analytics Certificate
What Is The Difference Between Naturalisation And Registration As A British Citizen
Naturalisation is the most common way of applying for British citizenship for adult applicants. Registration is the only way of applying for British citizenship for children. … Your child may also be automatically British if they were born outside the UK and at least one of their parents was a British citizen.
How Do I Get A Copy Of A Naturalization Certificate
If you’ve lost your Certificate of naturalization or need a copy for any other reason, you can request a new one from the USCIS, as discussed in detail above.
However, there’s a small fee associated with this, and you’ll need to provide certain information, including your name, place and date of birth, and naturalization number . This process can be done online or by mail.
A Certificate of Naturalization is the document that proves a person has become a United States Citizen. The Certificate is proof that all the naturalization requirements have been met. Once a Certificate is issued, the person is a full United States Citizen and has all the rights and privileges that come with Citizenship.
You are probably wondering how to get a Certificate of Naturalization. The process of obtaining a Certificate can be difficult, but with the help of an experienced immigration lawyer, it can be done. Lawyers help you throughout every step of the way, including taking the immigration medical exam.
If you are seeking Citizenship through Naturalization, UpCounsel can help. Our mission is to assist you in saving both time and money when it comes to all things immigration. We know it can be quite tough to negotiate United States immigration rules while seeking Citizenship. That’s why we strive to make it easier by being there for you every step of the journey.
Hire the top business lawyers and save up to 60% on legal fees
Don’t Miss: Maryland Sales And Use Tax Exemption Certificate
Who Can’t File Form N
You should not submit a Form N-600 application if:
- You were born in the United States. Your U.S. birth certificate is your proof of citizenship.
- You became a naturalized U.S. citizen. Your Certificate of Naturalization is your proof of citizenship.
- You are currently abroad. Instead, you should apply for a passport through the U.S. State Department.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services already issued you a Citizenship Certificate in the past. If you need to replace your form for some reason, fill out Form N-565, officially named âApplication for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document.â
- You are not the adopted or biological child of a U.S. citizen mother or U.S. citizen father.
- You are a permanent resident applying for U.S. citizenship through naturalization. Instead, use Form N-400, officially named âApplication for Naturalization.â
You filed Form N-600 in the past, and USCIS had already issued a decision.
If Youre Sending More Than One Application
If you are sending more than one application , you may send one receipt to cover all applications. If you do provide one receipt, you must send that receipt along with all of the applications together in one envelope so that they can be processed at the same time.
Note: If youre sending more than one application , and one of the applications is incomplete, all the applications will be returned to you.
Don’t Miss: 5 Year Certificate Of Deposit Rates
What Documents Do I Need To Apply For Social Security
If you are nearing retirement age, you might already be thinking aboutapplying for Social Security benefits. The Social Security application process is not extremely complex, but it does require some specific documentation to go along with your application. It is a good idea to go ahead and gather the required documents before you start your Social Security application. Getting your documents ready ahead of time will help the application process go more quickly and smoothly. Keep reading as we give you all the details.
Us Citizenship Through Naturalization Of A Parent
If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent, please submit the following with your passport application:
- Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent
- Your parent naturalization certificate
- Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
- Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
- Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
Please see U.S. Citizenship Laws & Policy for more information.
Recommended Reading: Tabc And Food Handlers Certificate Texas
When Can I Apply For A Replacement Certificate Of Citizenship
American citizens can apply for a replacement certificate of citizenship if they:
- Changed their name due to marriage or some court order after the document was issued.
- Received a certificate of naturalization, citizenship, declaration of intent, or repatriation that was lost, destroyed, or stolen.
- Obtained one that contains a typographical error made by USCIS.
- Obtained a certificate of citizenship or naturalization and their gender change is legally recognized through a court order, medical certification, or government-issued document.
- Are naturalized citizens seeking a special naturalization certificate for the purpose of having a foreign country recognize them as American citizens.
- Obtained a court order or a document issued by the state where their date of birth changes after the certificate of citizenship has been issued.
USCIS will not change the name without proof. For example, a marriage certificate, a court order or a divorce decree. Nor will the date of birth on the certificate of citizenship change without a court order or a state-issued document.
How Do I Get A Copy Of My Naturalization Certificate Online
If you’ve lost your Certificate of Naturalization, had it stolen, or had it damaged in any way, filing form N-565 with the USCIS will allow you to get a replacement copy of your naturalization certificate. Once you take the Naturalization Oath of Allegiance, you are presented with a Certificate of Naturalization as evidence of your newly acquired Citizenship.
With this document in hand, you may apply for a passport and participate in all the privileges of U.S. citizenship. It also serves as evidence that you are eligible to reside, work, and vote in the United States.
When filling out the N-565 form, you will need to include proof of identity, such as a copy of your driver’s license or passport. However, before you get to this step, you need to file a police report. This report and your proof of identity should also be included when submitting this form.
Once you’ve filed your form N-565 or FOIA request, the USCIS will review your case and determine whether or not you’re eligible for a replacement Certificate of Naturalization. After determination, the USCIS will send you a notice telling you how to get your replacement Certificate of Naturalization.
It is advisable, however, to hire an immigration attorney for this process. This is because any errors in your application might lead to unwarranted delays. A lawyer also helps you stay within the legal timelines for this entire process.
Recommended Reading: Best Functional Medicine Certification Programs
How Can I Verify My National Id
National IDs Can be Verified via PhilSys Check Website
With PhilSys Check, establishments can confirm the validity of national IDs through a QR code verification system. The system can be accessed by anyone through the verify.philsys.gov.ph website.
Is national ID a valid ID?
The Philippine Identification System or PhilSys is the governments central identification platform for all Filipino citizens and resident aliens of the Philippines. What is PhilID? The PhilID is a valid proof of identity that can be used to transact with the government and private sector.
How To Get Naturalisation Or Registration Certificate
Asked by: Alexandra Dach
Initially, a person obtains a certificate by filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and completing the naturalization process. Generally, this form must be submitted by permanent residents who meet the eligibility requirements.
Also Check: Copy Of Marriage Certificate Mn
How Do I Obtain An Authenticated Copy Of A Certificate Of Naturalization
If you are required to provide an authenticated copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship to someone outside of the U.S. government, you must make an appointment with your local USCIS office to authenticate your photocopy of your certificate. Authentication is a term used by the U.S. Department of State and other governments to describe what USCIS refers to as a Certified True Copy. These two terms refer to the same thing. When you require a Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship to be authenticated, be sure to say that you want a “Certified True Copy” of the certificate.
You do not need to obtain a Certified True Copy if the U.S. government asks for a copy of your certificate for official U.S. government business. You may use a normal photocopy of your certificate for legitimate U.S. government business. For example, when you apply for a U.S. passport, you must submit the original Certificate of Naturalization, and you should also submit a normal photocopy that has not been authenticated.
In order to certify a copy of the certificate, you must make an appointment with your local USCIS office and bring both your original document and your photocopy. We do not authenticate or certify copies as true through the mail or electronically. Please call the Contact Center at 800-375-5283 to request an appointment.
When you go to your appointment, be sure to bring: