Who Can Apply For A Birth Certificate
Under the Vital Statistics Act, any of the following people can order a birth certificate:
- the person who is the subject of the birth certificate
- a parent of the person who is the subject of the certificate, if that person is under 19 or incapable
- a custodial guardian if the parent is incapable, and the subject of the birth certificate is under 19 or incapable
- a person who has the written permission of an eligible applicant
- an officer of the provincial or federal government in Canada who requires the certificate for an official purpose or
- any other person who satisfies the registrar general that the request for the birth certificate is made in good faith
Note: If you do not meet the eligibility requirements above, but require a birth document for legal purposes or for a federal application , you may qualify to obtain a .
Birth Certificate Requirements For Us Passports
Getting a U.S. passport is not as complicated as some might think. However, it is important that applicants have the necessary requirements. One of the most important requirements to apply for a United States passport for the first time is a birth certificate.
Obtaining a certified copy of a birth certificate is a straightforward process, managed exclusively by the United States Department of State. You should apply for your passport whenever you decide to travel abroad, but the good news is you can quickly order a copy and receive it by mail in a few weeks.
Who Can Obtain A Certified Copy Of A Birth Certificate
You are entitled to obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate if you are:
- The person named on the certificate
- The parent named on the birth certificate
- The legal guardian of a minor or adult
- A legal representative of one of these.
Immediate family members and/or their respective legal representative may obtain a certified copy of a birth record if the registrant is deceased. An original, certified copy of the registrant’s death record must be submitted with the request. There are no exceptions to this requirement. Birth certificates become public records after 100 years. Then any person may obtain an uncertified copy of the birth certificate, upon submission of application form and fees.
You May Like: Dc Vital Records Birth Certificate
How To Get A Certified Copy Of A Birth Certificate
If youâre a United States citizen, your birth certificate is one of the most important identifying documents youâll ownâat least, at first. The vital record is usually issued at birth and acts as verification for obtaining other essential identifiers, such as a social security card replacement, driverâs license, or passport.
Besides proving your citizenship by indicating your birthplace, a birth certificate certifies the circumstances surrounding your birth. It verifies your age by establishing the date and time you were born and provides critical information about your birth parents, including their names, birthplaces, and ages at the time you were born.
You may need a birth certificate to:
- Verify employment eligibility
- Get a driverâs license
- Claim insurance benefits
- Claim a pension
If youâre looking to order a copy, we have you covered. Itâs our mission to help individuals change, order, and replace vital records, including providing detailed information about the processes. Hereâs how to get a certified copy of a birth certificate.
Obtain An Original Birth Certificate
When an adoption is finalized, the state issues a new birth certificate to the adoptive parents. The adoptees original birth certificate is then sealed and kept confidential by the states vital records department. Half the states in the U.S. require a court order to unseal an original birth certificate. However, many states allow access to original birth certificates through:
- A request from the adult adoptee
- A request by the adoptee unless the birth parent filed an affidavit denying access
- Establishment of eligibility to obtain identifying information with the state
- A record of consent from both birth parents
Also Check: Pre And Post Natal Certification
Protecting Yourself From Identity Fraud
Your birth certificate is a foundation identity document, so take care of it. The following three things can help you protect yourself from identity fraud:
- Keep your birth certificate in a safe location, and do not carry it with you as general identification
- Keep a photocopy of your birth certificate so if it is lost or stolen, you can report the certificate number and issue date to Vital Statistics
- Consider replacing paper birth certificates with the more secure post-2008 polymer version
Request A File Search
You may request a File Search instead of submitting evidence of U.S. Citizenship if:
- You have been issued a U.S. passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad in the past and
- You can’t submit it with your application
The File Search fee is $150 and charged in addition to the normal application fees, payable to the Department of State. Please fill out Request for a File Search and include it with your application.
Don’t Miss: California Certificate Of Good Standing
Who Can Get A Passport
If you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time, the first thing you will need is a certified copy of the birth certificate. Citizens in the following cases also need their birth certificate to get an american passport:
- Minors under age 16
- Applicants whose previous passport was issued before the age 16
- Applicants who officially changed their name
- Applicants whose passport was issued more than 15 years ago
- Applicants who are applying to replace a stolen, lost or damaged passport
The birth certificate is necessary as it is a document considered proof of citizenship by the U.S. government.
Birth Certificate Copies: Born Abroad And Adopted By Us Parents
If you were born in a foreign country and adopted by a U.S. citizen, you would not have received a U.S. birth certificate. The country in which you were born would have issued one. To get a copy, contact the nearest foreign embassy or consulate for that country. If you need an authenticated copy and it’s not in English, ask the embassy for help to get it translated.
If you were adopted from another country by a U.S. citizen, you should have copies of your naturalization/citizenship papers. If you don’t, submit an application for the replacement of a naturalization/citizenship document. For help, contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does It Take To Get Your Ged Certificate
By Phone Through Vitalchek
Average processing time is 5-7 business days.Call to speak to a VitalChek representative 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Only persons named on the birth certificate may order through VitalChek.
- $17 non-refundable expedited searching fee
- $3 for each additional copy
- $10.50 additional charge to pay for the services of VitalChek
- Shipping fees should you choose to expedite the shipping of your certificate.
Divorce Decrees And Certificates
A divorce decree is an official document from the court that grants the termination of a marriage. It includes specific details of the divorce.
A divorce certificate is issued by a state vital records office. It shows that a divorce occurred but not all the same information as a divorce decree. You can save time and money by determining which document you need before requesting a copy.
Read Also: Free Online Dog Training Certification
Birth Certificate Copies: Americans Born Abroad
If you were born to American parents abroad, they should have registered your birth with the country’s U.S. embassy or consulate. If they did, they would have received a Consular Report of Birth Abroad . You can get a copy of this report from the U.S. Department of State. Depending on the country, a vital records office in the nation may also list the birth.
What if the State Department cannot locate your CRBA? If you were born on a military base abroad, your parents might not have registered your birth with the U.S. embassy. In that case, you may have to contact the hospital where you were born.
Certified Copies Of Birth Certificates Available
For $10 for the first copy of a birth certificate and $2 for each additional copy of the same certificate requested at the same time, you will obtain a birth certificate with the following items: childs name date of birth sex place of birth mother/co-parents maiden name mother/co-parents place of birth mother/co-parents age father/co-parents name father/co-parents place of birth father/co-parents age file date date issued and state file number.
For $15 for the first copy of a birth certificate and $2 for each additional copy of the same certificate requested at the same time, you will obtain a birth certificate with information collected at the time of your birth .
You May Like: Google It Support Professional Certificate
Us Citizenship At Birth
If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through your U.S. citizen parent, please submit the following with your passport application:
- Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent
- Your parent evidence of U.S. citizenship
- Your parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable
- A statement from your U.S. citizen parent detailing all periods and places of their residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.
Please see U.S. Citizenship Laws & Policy for more information.
Records Maintained By Foreign Countries
Most, but not all, foreign countries record births and deaths. It is not possible to list in this publication all foreign vital records offices, the charges they make for copies of records, or the information they may require to locate a record. However, most foreign countries will provide certifications of births and deaths occurring within their boundaries.
Persons who need a copy of a foreign birth or death record should contact the Embassy or the nearest Consulate in the U.S. of the country in which the death occurred. Addresses and telephone numbers for these offices are listed in the U.S. Department of State Publication 7846, Foreign Consular Offices in the United States, which is available in many local libraries. Copies of this publication may also be purchased from the U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402.
If the Embassy or Consulate is unable to provide assistance, U.S. citizens may obtain assistance by writing to the Office of Overseas Citizens Services, U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC 20520-4818. Aliens residing in the United States may be able to obtain assistance through the Embassy or Consulate of their country of nationality.
Read Also: Certificate Of Assumed Name Ny State
How Long Do Certified Documents Last
The presidency said that all government departments and components were also required to adhere to the new compliance. Certified copies of documents submitted with an application for employment can be up to six months old, as long as the document does not have an expiry date that falls within the six-month period.
Born On Or After 1 January 1983
Youll need all of the following:
- your full birth certificate showing your parents details
- the passport you used to come into the UK or any foreign passport that youre included on
- evidence of one parents British nationality, for example their UK birth or adoption, naturalisation or registration certificate
If these documents relate to your father, you must include the marriage certificate showing when he married your mother.
Also Check: Nyc Department Of Health Birth Certificate
Death And Marriage Records Of Us Citizens That Occurred In A Foreign Country
The death of a U.S. citizen in a foreign country may be reported to the nearest U.S. consular office. If reported, and a copy of the local death certificate and evidence of U.S. citizenship are presented, the consul prepares the official Report of the Death of an American Citizen Abroad . A copy of the Report of Death is then filed permanently in the U.S. Department of State .
To obtain a copy of a report filed in 1975 or after, write to:
Department of State PO Box 1213 Sterling, VA 20166-1213
The fee for a copy is $50.00 per document. Please submit a notarized request to include a picture ID. Fee may be subject to change.
See Request a Copy of a Consular Report of Death Abroad External.
Reports of Death filed before 1975 are maintained by the National Archives and Records Service, Diplomatic Records Branch, Washington, DC 20408. Requests for such records should be sent directly to that office.
Reports of deaths of persons serving in the Armed Forces of the United States or civilian employees of the Department of Defense are not maintained by the U.S. Department of State. In these cases, requests for copies of records should be sent to the National Personnel Records Center , 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100.
How Can I Get A Delayed Birth Record Established
The process of establishing a delayed birth record can be long and require many documents to be submitted. Sometimes it is impossible to get the required documents and the only option is for someone to present what they have to a judge who will then decide what information to put on the birth certificate.
To establish a delayed certificate administratively requires 3 different documents verifying the birth facts claimed are submitted. The documents required are based on the age of the person whose birth certificate is being requested at the time of the application. For a person more than ten years of age, all documents submitted must have been established at least ten years prior to the date of application. For a person ten years or younger, the documents must be dated at least one year prior to the date of the application or within the first year of life. Each document must show the place and the date the document was filed to prove it meets the age criteria.
Only original or certified copies will be accepted and must show the following information.
You May Like: Tabc And Food Handlers Certificate Texas
Do I Need To Submit My Original Birth Certificate To Prove My Citizenship When Applying For A Us Passport
No there are other alternatives to proving that you are a U.S. citizen than with the original copy of your birth certificate. However, if you are submitting your original U.S. birth certificate, remember that only long form birth certificates are considered primary documents and dont require any other supplemental documentation.
How To Show Proof Of Canadian Citizenship For Adult Passport Applications
You must provide proof of Canadian citizenship if youre applying for a new adult passport.
- It has to be the original proof of citizenship document.
- We do not accept photocopies, even if theyre signed.
You dont need to provide proof if youre applying to renew your passport.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Birth Certificate Fast
Who Can Certify A Document
Your document must be certified by a professional person or someone well-respected in your community . You could ask the following if they offer this service:
- bank or building society official
The person you ask should not be:
- living at the same address
- in a relationship with you
Check with the organisation that needs the certified copy – they may have specific rules for who can certify a document.
Birth Records Of Alien Children Adopted By Us Citizens
Birth certifications for alien children adopted by U.S. citizens and lawfully admitted to the United States may be obtained from the Immigration and Naturalization Service if the birth information is on file. To obtain the birth data, it is necessary to provide the Immigration Office with proof of adoption or legitimation.
Read Also: Flag And Certificate Display Case
Tips For Submitting Your Citizenship Evidence
- Submit your original evidence of U.S. citizenship.
- Submit a photocopy of the front of your original evidence of U.S. citizenship.
- In some cases, you may be able to submit a certified copy of your citizenship evidence. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.
- If you don’t want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you dont submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.
- You cannot submit digital evidence of U.S. citizenship when applying for a U.S. passport. You must continue to submit your physical evidence of U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of it.
Were Here To Help You Obtain Vital Records
We are a go-to resource for anyone looking to obtain vital records. Using intelligent, cloud-based technology, the process of applying for a birth certificate has never been easier. With us, you can take care of everything from the comfort of your own home. Get in touch with us to learn more about our convenient online platform.
Please note that we are an independent, third-party servicer with no affiliation with the Social Security Administration .
You May Like: Order Birth Certificate Washington State